Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Post Call

Last Wednesday was Shaefer's first official day of work as an intern, as well as all the other 'new' doctors across the country! His first day of call was Thursday....for which he left at about 4:50am that morning and didn't return home until 2:30 pm on Friday....and you guessed it, he didn't get a wink of sleep that night. He said he literally went from patient room to patient room to the ER for admissions. He finally sat down around 4:30 am to chart....only to finish and then have to round on his patients again before the attendings arrived at 7.


The toothpicks holding his eyes open are clear. Smiles!

Shaefer says he's loving his job and I can truly tell that he does. Despite the long hours and lack of sleep, he is so excited when he talks about what he saw each day...and he looks forward to coming home and looking up more info about the diagnosis, etc. God has definitely blessed him with the right profession!!!


5 comments:

  1. I know Mr Spirs appreciated those pics on the blog! Hee hee. Your blogged...so now I know I must. Good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome he's loving it! yay for Shaefer loving nashville! umm.... how are you liking it Kristina? can the kids and i come to play with you at the pool? haha - that would be fun! august 5thish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad shaef is loving it :) he looks good for not sleeping over 48+ hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...what a dork. He actually cares about the details of what's going on with his patients. Just tell me what it is, and I'll cut it out! Ha ha...j/k. Shaef is truly a smart kid. Love y'all! -Brad

    ReplyDelete